Your pregnancy is a wonderful time, full of excitement and anticipation. However, along with these feelings often come physical and emotional discomforts and nuances. Chiropractic is a proven safe way to strengthen your body and mind, as it promotes a healthy pregnancy and delivery. In this post, we’re going over five ways chiropractic care can improve your pregnancy and the benefits working with a chiropractor has on pregnant women.
How Chiropractic Methods Can Support a Comfortable Pregnancy
Maternity care can be incredibly beneficial for pregnant women. While pregnant, the female body changes to support more weight-carrying, protect the baby, and create room for a safe delivery process. These changes can cause joints, soft tissues, spine, and pelvis imbalances, igniting pain, loss of range of motion, and restricted movement. Our mental and emotional state can also become affected when in physical discomfort. That, combined with the hormonal changes that take place during pregnancy, often leads to stress, anxiety, and in some cases, even depression. Gentle chiropractic techniques can address these dysfunctions, provide comfort, restore movement patterns, and reduce mental stress.
Five ways getting chiropractic care during pregnancy can support physical and mental health include:
- Alleviates back pain: Back pain is a common complaint during pregnancy, and chiropractic adjustments can help alleviate this discomfort by correcting misalignments in the spine.
- Improves pelvic alignment: As the baby grows, it can put pressure on the pelvis and cause misalignments. Chiropractic care can help restore proper alignment and balance to the pelvis and may make childbirth easier.
- Reduces nausea: Some pregnant women experience nausea or morning sickness, and chiropractic care may help reduce these symptoms by restoring proper nerve function.
- Reduces labor and delivery time: Correcting spinal and pelvic misalignments before birth can help ensure the baby is in the optimal position for a natural delivery, reducing labor and delivery time.
- Reduces stress and promotes relaxation: Providing comfort can decrease stress levels, and natural chiropractic treatments can nurture relaxation by reducing pressures on the spine and affected soft tissues.
Not all chiropractic techniques may be appropriate for pregnant women. Working with an experienced pregnancy chiropractor can help you find the optimal treatments for you and help ensure your safety and well-being throughout your pregnancy.
Chiropractic Services & Other Natural Pain Solutions While Pregnant
The correct chiropractic treatment plan for maternity patients must consider the mother’s needs, goals, abilities, and any underlying conditions.
Common chiropractic methods used during pregnancy include:
- Webster technique: used to restore balance to the pelvis and reduce tension in the ligaments supporting the uterus, allowing the baby to assume the best position for birth
- Chiropractic adjustments: gentle manipulations can correct any misalignments in the spine, helping to reduce pain and discomfort in the back, hips, and other areas that commonly experience strain during pregnancy.
- Soft tissue therapy: acupuncture and myofascial release techniques can reduce muscle tension, heal affected soft tissues, and improve mobility, flexibility, and circulation.
- Exercises and stretches: specific exercises and stretches can help strengthen muscles, improve flexibility, and reduce pain and other discomforts.
Combining chiropractic care with other natural remedies for pain can help you find longer-lasting comfort faster.
Effective, organic ways to find comfort while pregnant include:
- Practice good posture: as your baby grows, your center of gravity changes, which can put extra strain on your back; practicing good posture can help alleviate this discomfort: stand up straight, with your shoulders back and relaxed, and avoid slouching or arching your back.
- Wear comfortable clothing: as your body changes during pregnancy, it's important to wear clothing that fits well and is comfortable, so opt for loose-fitting, breathable fabrics and avoid tight or restrictive clothing.
- Wear supportive shoes: the feet are taking on more pressure with the added weight, so be mindful of the shoes you wear, considering heels, soles, and fit.
- Stay active: exercises and stretches can help alleviate discomfort during pregnancy by strengthening your muscles and improving your posture. (be sure to talk with your chiropractor to determine what exercises are safe)
- Get enough rest: pregnancy can be tiring, so it's important to get enough quality rest; by sleeping on your side with a pillow between your legs, you can help support your hips and lower back while at rest.
- Practice relaxation techniques: stress and anxiety can exacerbate physical discomfort during pregnancy, so utilizing relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, meditation, or yoga can help reduce stress and garner relaxation.
- Seek out support: surrounding yourself with supportive people can help alleviate stress and discomfort during pregnancy, so keep an open dialogue with friends and family, and consider prenatal support groups or working with a therapist.
Visit Our Fargo Chiropractic Clinic for Comfort While Pregnant
We recognize that every pregnancy is different; what works for one person may not work for another. It's important to always listen to your body and react accordingly. We’ve seen firsthand how chiropractic can benefit pregnant women using the programs we design specifically for them. Let us help you find the best ways possible to get comfortable and healthy during your pregnancy. This is an exciting time, don’t let anything take away from that. Contact our Fargo maternity chiropractic team today.
Melanie Dockter DC, CACCP
Co-Owner | ChiropractorContact Me