As the 4th of July approaches it is important to enjoy the weekend. There are many ways to continue to feed your body healthy foods while you also indulge in all the festivities. Healthy food can taste good! Below are some of our family favorites. They are quick and easy recipes that can please any crowd.
Who doesn’t love guacamole?! I find chips and salsa hard to resist. Have fun with this easy to make snack option. What you need:
- 2-3 ripe Avocados (diced)
- Diced red onion
- Jalapeno – optional if you like some kick
- Line juice – Fresh squeezed is the best
- Fine Sea Salt – Dash
- Ground Cumin – Dash
- Diced tomatoes
Mash up your avocados until they reach your desired consistency. Mix in the remaining ingredients. Then taste and season with extra salt if needed. Serve and enjoy with your favorite chip or veggie.
Appetizer: Cowboy Caviar
Giddy-up for this tasty and protein packed snack.
- Sweet corn (cooked and cut off cob) or small can of mexicorn
- 15 oz black beans – rinsed
- 15 oz pinto bean – rinsed
- 15 oz kidney bean – rinsed
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 2 stalks celery – chopped
- 1 green & 1 red pepper diced
- Jalapenos for some spice
- 2 cloves minced garlic
SAUCE: ½ cup avocado oil, ¾ cup apple cider vinegar, ½ cup sugar, dash of salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Bring the oil, vinegar, sugar, and seasonings to a boil. Let simmer for a few minutes then pour mixture over beans and vegetables. Enjoy on chips or as a fresh salsa option for tacos.
Main Dish: Teriyaki Chicken and Pineapple Kebabs
Embrace flavor and make your belly happy! Kebabs are versatile and making your own with your favorite meats or veggies is an easy way to please all palates.
- Keep all sizes of meat, veggies, and fruit about the same size so they may cook evenly.
- Avoid potatoes, squash, carrots, corn on the cob unless they are precooked before as they need more time on the fire.
- Fall in love with marinades. Marinate the meat a at least 30 minutes prior to cooking to infuse with flavor. You can prepare ahead of time and when ready stick on skewers and cook.
- Boneless chicken (pork or steak) cut into 1-inch chunks.
- 2 cups fresh pineapple
- 1 large bell pepper
- ½ large red onion
- Other vegetables or fruits can be added
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- 1 TBSP water
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp dried ground ginger
- 1 TBSP toasted sesame oil
- Metal or wood Skewers
In a small bowl, whisk above ingredients together and add the meat to marinade. Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes while you prep your other vegetables and pineapple. Preheat the grill. While placing food on skewers alternate meat, vegetables, and fruit. Brush over the skewers the leftover marinade. Grill over medium-high heat turning every 5 minutes until cooked through.
Dessert: Red, White, and Blue Fruit Pizza (gluten-free)
Don’t skip dessert. Not only can fruit pizza be festive but it is tasty and a fan favorite of all ages.
- ½ cup pecans – chopped
- 1 ¼ almond flour
- 2 TBSP coconut flour
- 1 whole egg (can substitute with chia gel (1 TBSP chia + 2 TBSP water)
- 2 TBSP maple syrup
- 1 TBSP unsalted butter
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup plan Greek yogurt
- 1 TBSP maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup mixed berries of your choice
- Toppings – optional: coconut flakes, pecans pieces, white chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place parchment paper on a baking sheet. In bowl combine crust ingredients, mix, then transfer to baking sheet. Press the dough flat forming shape of your choice. Placing another piece of parchment on top and with a rolling pin roll flat until about ¼ to ½ inch thick. Bake for 16 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and cool. Combine yogurt, syrup, and vanilla mix and top on cooled crust. Finish pizza with berries and optional toppings. ENJOY!
Healthy food can taste good and satisfy those salty and sweet cravings. Have fun with food! At Venture we look at the entire person and have services that can help you move better, feel better, and be a better you! Have a happy and safe 4th of July.
- Melanie Dockter DC CACCP