I like to joke with my office working patients that desk work is harder on the body than if they were out chopping wood all day. Many tend to agree with me.. The tough part about sitting all day is that you sit all day. Lack of movement coupled with stress wears the body out quickly. Here are some quick, healthy tips for the modern desk jockey:
- Utilize micro breaks throughout the day. Set an alarm every hour to perform some movement, aiming for at least 3-5 minutes in length.
- Use a lacrosse ball to massage leg muscles and in between shoulder blades.
- Keep a light resistance band on hand for a quick exercise.
- Park as far away from the building as possible.
- Set up walking meetings.
- Perform seated exercises such as: cow/camel, seated twists, neck range of motion, or shoulder rolls.
- Have an accountability partner.
- Hang a small side mirror at your desk so you can check your posture throughout the day.
- Posture reminders via sticky notes or calendar reminders.
- Aim for 10,000 steps a day.
- Drink half your body weight in fluid ounces of water a day.
- Abdominal breathing instead of chest breathing.
- Unplug once or twice a day.
I hope these tips will be helpful for you. We are here to help you move better, feel better, be a better you!
–Dr. Matt Casperson