The initials behind your physician’s name may make a difference in the type of care you receive and the success you have in reaching your goals.  As many people know your appointment might be pretty different depending on whether you’re visit and Medical Doctor (MD) or Doctor of Chiropractic (DC).  Most people go to each of these types of doctors for different reasons.  You might also see your Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS AKA dentist) for tooth pain you would see your Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (DPM AKA Podiatrist) for foot pain.

Most people who visit a chiropractor don’t realize that your chiropractor may or may not have a specialty.  While most chiropractors (DC) can help you with a wide variety of musculoskeletal problems ranging from low back pain to “pinched nerves” and disc problems a specialist may sometimes be able to help with a wider variety of issues.  These doctors go to additional training to learn more about specific topics and conditions.  A chiropractor with a Certification from the Academy Council of Chiropractic Pediatrics (CACCP) has more education and experience working with small children and adolescence.  A Certified Chiropractic Extremity Practitioner (CCEP) has completed additional training and experience working with problems of the arms and legs.  Your chiropractor may at times refer you to a medical neurologist with a certification from the American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology (ABPN) or a chiropractor with a Diplomate of the American Chiropractic Neurology Board (DACNB) for a second opinion on an advancing neuropathy.  There are numerous specialties that many chiropractors may obtain to better help their patients and often times their patients may not even know that they are experts in a specific area.

While all chiropractors (DC) can help you with most of your general musculoskeletal needs you may not discuss all of you issues/concerns with them because many people think that chiropractors are just for backs.  Tell your chiropractor all of your health concerns and if they cannot personally help you with them they can get you to someone who can.

by Dr. Chris Dockter, DC, CCEP