Father’s day is fast approaching, thus I thought it would be appropriate to share some books that have influenced me as a father or that have been recommended to me. By no means is this an exhaustive list, many great books will not be found on this list. If you have a great book that has influenced you as a father, please share in the comments- we would love to hear!
- Precious Little Sleep: The Complete Baby Sleep Guide for Modern Parents– As a father with young children this is a must read! I remember after reading this with my wife, we made a 180 degree turn in how we handled sleep with our little guy. There were no more laps around the apartment attempting to rock him to sleep after reading this book! You need to sleep, your kiddo needs to sleep. Read this book.
- The Bondage Breaker: Anderson, Neil T. My father-in-law summed this book up in a sentence: “Deal with your junk or your junk will deal with you!”
- 50 Dangerous Things (You Should Let Your Children Do)– With activities such as tight-rope walking, spear-making, and electricity tasting, not only does this book sound a little dangerous, but it is also a lot of fun! This book offers exciting ways to explore the world around us, while also teaching kids about safety!
- The Fellowship of the Ring: Being the First Part of The Lord of the Rings (1)– “One ring to rule them all..” Here is an epic fantasy of good vs evil, courage and bravery. There are valiant men and women fighting for their friends and family while also teaching us that the bond of friendship can overcome the greatest of evils. I cannot wait till my son is old enough to read and watch the Lord of the Rings, but until then, we will continue to rid the woods of Fargo from orcs and goblins with our makeshift swords! (sticks).
- Seven Men: And the Secret of Their Greatness– What does it take to be a true exemplar as a father, husband, or brother? What does it look like to stand for honesty, justice and courage? This book takes a look at the lives of 7 men throughout history and the mark they left on it.
Bonus: A Daily Dose of Dad Jokes: 365 Truly Terrible Wisecracks (You’ve Been Warned)– You’ve got’em and your kids want them! As a dad, you need to be prepared at all times to make your kids eyes roll and their cheeks flush with laughter!
Happy Father’s Day to all the great dads out there!