1. Healthier Chocolate Milk for the kids
- 2 cups almond milk (or your milk of choice)
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp honey or maple syrup*
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Warm the almond milk in a small saucepan, then whisk in the cocoa powder, honey, and vanilla extract. Whisk well to remove any lumps from the cocoa.
- Optional: place in your blender (make sure the cocoa isn’t too hot – you don’t want to get burned) and blend until frothy.
- Serve warm.
*add honey to preference – depending on how sweet your kids like it
-A Scandinavian spiced, alcoholic drink
- 1 Bottle Red Wine (red tends to work best)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons almonds (blanched and slivered)
- 1 tablespoon cardamom
- 2 tablespoons ginger (fresh root)
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 8 cloves
- Optional: 1 1/2 cup of bourbon (or vodka)
- Garnish: orange slice
- Gather your ingredients.
- Combine the wine, optional bourbon or vodka, sugar, orange peel, raisins, cardamom pods, a slice of ginger root, cinnamon stick, and cloves into a 2 to 3-quart pot. Heat to 175 F (77 C) and let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 1 hour.
- Strain to remove spices.
- Gently reheat and add 1 teaspoon of blanched, slivered almonds and 1 teaspoon of raisins before serving.
- Feel free to garnish with a slice of orange on the side.
Enjoy!This Glögg recipe is easy to make and strain ahead of time and keep in the refrigerator for a quick warm-up and serve. May be served well-chilled, over ice in summer for a Swedish-styled “sangria.” For a non-alcoholic version of this mulled wine recipe, replace the wine and optional bourbon with 2 cups of grape juice and 2 cups of apple juice.
3. Golden Milk Tea:
- Digestion Support
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk, preferably coconut milk beverage or almond milk
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 (1-inch) piece turmeric, unpeeled, thinly sliced, or 1/2 teaspoon dried turmeric
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece ginger, unpeeled, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- Ground cinnamon (for serving)
- Whisk coconut milk, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, honey, coconut oil, peppercorns, and 1 cup water in a small saucepan; bring to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer until flavors have melded, about 10 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into mugs and top with a dash of cinnamon.
- Golden milk can be made 5 days ahead. Store in an airtight container and chill. Warm before serving.
4. Steep Me Some Tea
This local spot is great for purchasing and learning about tea. Tea is the second-most consumed drink in the world, surpassed only by water. An often-surprising fact to tea novices is that all teas (Black, Green, Oolong, White and Pu’erh) come from the same plant. You will not only find a multitude of amazing teas to try, but also will enjoy the many health benefits they provide.
You can purchase premade tea bags at your local Target, Walmart, and Swanson Health Products.
Ginger, Peppermint, and Green Tea are great options.
- Improve digestion
- Strengthen the Immune system
- High in antioxidants and flavonoids
- Soothe a sore throat
- Maintain hydration
5. Healthier Coffee
- Do not add sugar and skip artificial creamers – Choose natural sweeteners such as honey or Stevia.
- Skip the Whip
- Add Coconut oil to black coffee
- Add some Cinnamon to your coffee – can lower blood glucose, cholesterol and triglycerides in diabetics. PubMed Article. 2003
- Avoid drinking your cup of Joe after 2 pm. Caffeine is a stimulant and can affect your sleep.
- Add Cocoa – Cocoa is loaded with antioxidants and some studies show reduction in heart disease. PubMed Article. 2015
6. Nature’s Flu Shot
- 1 fresh lemon
- 3-5 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 TBSP raw honey
- 1/2 TBSP ginger (fresh & grated preferred)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 cup water
- Combine all ingredients and stir well. Enjoy daily.
7. Winter Cranberry Orange Smoothie
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup raw cranberries
- 1 orange or orange juice
- 1 banana
- Handful of ice
- Dark leafy greens for an additional boost (optional)
- Add all ingredients into a blender. Adjust ingredients to match your desired thickness.
We hope you enjoy the above recipes. Get creative and put your spin on some of the above recipes. Merry Christmas and we wish you a Happy New Year!