There is an important member of the family that we don’t want to forget about on these Motherhood Mondays, and it is DAD. Dad’s nutrition is important because we want him fueled and ready to help. In most families, mom is considered the health decision maker. We may oversee health decisions, but it is ultimately the decision of the recipient to make changes. It is important in our family that I keep Chris strong so he can continue to open jars, lift heavy things for us, and rough house with the kids.
No matter your age, if you are not eating well you are putting your health, sex life, and the overall quality of your life at risk. Many issues that men face can be corrected with proper nutrition and supplementation. There is no better time than now to focus on your health so can live a healthful life. During the month of Movember it is important to raise awareness of men’s health issues, such as prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and men’s suicide.
Food First; Then Supplement.
Research suggests that a diet full of vegetables, fruit, nuts, and whole grains will reduce one’s risk of heart disease, cancer, and stroke. Plants such as dark, leafy greens, and lean protein foods are important sources to help prevent disease. It is important to not to forget fiber. Men should aim for 30-38 grams per day. Fiber does not get a lot of attention, but it delivers many health benefits such as weight loss, reducing cholesterol and blood sugar levels, lowering risk of cardiovascular disease such as stroke and heart disease, prevents diabetes, increases bowel and digestive health, and fuels a healthy gut bacteria. Instead of breaking down fiber our body passes it through its system easing the symptoms of constipation, aiding in healthy digestion.
When you fall short, don’t fret because you can add vitamins into one’s diet to fill those nutritional gaps. Remember anytime you choose a supplement, make sure to look for quality, science-backed ingredients, good manufacturing seals, and transparency in labeling. We carry high quality nutritional products in the office and would be happy to discuss further if interested.
Below are my favorite general supplements for dad.
- MultiVitamin – A high quality, highly absorbable, multivitamin is important. It is packed with essential vitamins and minerals to support men’s health, when the diet is lacking.
- Fish Oils – Helps to support healthy cardiovascular function, cognitive support, and immune function.
- Vitamin D – Let’s face it everyone needs additional vitamin D in our area. Our lack of sun exposure leaves many deficient. Vitamin D helps supports healthy stress levels, bone, skin, and heart health and improves immune function.
- CoQ10 – For the men in our life with high blood pressure and cholesterol the addition of coenzyme Q10 is important in energy production and promoting cardiovascular health.
- Protein and Collagen – Protein is an essential building block and it is important to meet our body’s requirements to build healthy muscle, ligaments, and tendons. Additional protein or collagen can provide additional joint and bone health.
- Zinc – Zinc has been shown to improve reproductive function and support a healthy immune and GI function.
- His Vitality – This is a comprehensive herbal supplement to support healthy male hormone balance for promoting healthy libido, energy, and mood. Male reproductive hormones have a significant impact on physical, behavioral, and psychological health.
If you like to keep things easy, I highly recommend the below as an option. The vitamins are all divided and conveniently found in individual packets. This packet covers the general needs for men.
Multi Vitamin – Everyday Essentials – Men: This is a comprehensive formula that is found in easy to go packets that includes EVERYTHING dad needs for basic support. A multivitamin, Fish oils, Zinc pro and Hormone balance that supports healthy testosterone levels. It really includes it all.
At the end of the month, you may see the men in our office sporting their new ‘staches, goatees, Fu Manchus, mutton chops, or other furry face-warmers. Keep your eyes on social media to view the results. Cheers to the men in our lives. Hope the information provides a healthy advantage so they may live a long and healthy life!
–Melanie Dockter, DC CACCP